Friday, September 23, 2005

::the geranium and the bully-plant::


I was doing a few moments of gardening late yesterday afternoon and realized that one of the geraniums we had planted a few months ago was being overtaken by a dying, weedy bully-plant. In an effort to allow the much more beautiful geranium blossoms to show through, I started trimming away at the bully-plant (not the real name for the plant, which I don't know -- my term because of it's role in this story). So I trimmed and trimmed until the entire area around the geranium was clear of bully-plant. Then I stood back to admire my handiwork and realized that the once tall and vibrant geranium was now laying lifeless, and much less grand than before, on the dirt.

I suddenly realized that it was this weedy, seemingly unneccessary bully-plant that had been holding up the lively geranium which now appeared limp. And I was taught by this gardening experience. Sometimes the bum deals in life are needed to help make the beautiful things well, beautiful.

It all matters and has a purpose, even the bully-plants.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Amen. A good lesson. A hard one, but a good one!

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home