Monday, May 15, 2006

::out of my control::

Lovely things for lovely people:
  • A new pair of shoes everyday! Interesting idea.
  • Cheap ten minute facial.
  • One of a kind, handcrafted items.
  • One Place. You can listen to all the greats.
Contemplation:
Obviously thinking a bunch about motherhood yesterday.
And my mothering style.
After hearing a lot of the messages that go along with Mother's Day fesivities I realized again that motherhood is so much more than trying to control our children and trying to get them to behave.

It's all about winning their hearts.

Am I a mother that focuses on being kind and loving, teaching and instructing rather than just making them behave so I'll look like I have good kids? For some reason I think parents these days (and generations past) forget that it isn't just about trying to get your children to "stay in line" and do the right things. The heart is where it all begins. We are to walk along side our children, to lovingly show them the way, not give them a list of rules which won't mean anything unless we've followed them ourselves.

The Bible talks about instruction, guidence, love and correction of our children but it never talks about control. This mother's day I made a committment to work on the hearts of my children above all else. The influencing of the outer behaviors will then take care of themselves.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kimber said...

Well said!! I totally agree, and hope to be one of those mom's who wins their hearts and helps them fall in love with the Lord!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

That's something I will keep in mind. Thanks :)

6:17 PM  
Blogger Bek said...

what a great commitment - i love it. thanks, me too, me too!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

So well said. Winning their hearts...nothing else will ever count anyway...
I peaked at the shoes....you know I would although its bad for my addiction...I like the ones with turquoise on them..
Michael Youseff(sp?) was up when I clicked over to One Place....his church is down the street from my job...his church is humongeous! :) and he's on tv day and night here...

1:19 PM  
Blogger suzspeaks said...

I couldn't agree with you more!!

7:40 PM  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

I like what you said here: "We are to walk along side our children, to lovingly show them the way, not give them a list of rules..." I used to tell my Mom that I see my kids like plants or trees, and my job is try to get the soil just right, and to prune and to hold up the vine with twine, so that each of my children can grow to his or her OWN, God-given potential and that they would know God as well, not to just, like you said, follow a set of rules to look well-behaved. (My children did not look "well-behaved" that much, because they were and are very lively, energetic, opinionated, curious, active and somewhat hyperactive and sometimes loud children. However, this past year, my two oldest (8th and 10th grades) both were #1 in their classes for GPA and they all four are doing great. However, you couldn't FIND any family members that wanted to babysit them when they were little! Oh well, their (the relative's)loss!

8:32 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Hi Gina
"It's all about winning their hearts."
This is so true and important.
I agree with you :)

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home