Saturday, July 22, 2006

::a blink, and she's one::




Dearest Leila ~
I held you for the first time it seems only moments ago, now it's your first birthday.

When we found out we were going to have another baby we were thrilled. I couldn't wait to tell your Daddy. I handed him some little baby socks and said, "We'll be needing these again soon." He cried because he was so happy. When we found out you were a girl, we were a little worried. I was used to your brother and thought I might not know what to do with a girl. As soon as I met you though, I was in love and all the worry disapeared.

At two days you were almost holding your head up. Your doctor was astonished and said, "You got yourself a real tiger." You are quite a bit more dramatic than Luke and cry much more. I think mainly it's because you're a girl and we tend to make a little more noise.

Since I couldn't bear to hear you cry I didn't leave you with anyone until you were 11 months old. I would stay in the nursery until I knew you were comfortable and then I would say goodbye and go. It took you a few trys but now you do pretty well.

Everyday you bring me a new joy. I'm amazed at all the things you do and how fast you learn. Your first word was "flower".
You've said "mama""dada", "up", "bye" and you repeat the letters "m" "a" and "o".
You do a precious little dance when you hear music. Your hips sway from side to side.
You are already starting to imatate eating with a fork.
You point and "comment" on things that interest you.
You wave bye-bye.
You know how to find your head.

I love your precious chubby cheeks.
You have a beautiful olive skin tone and honey colored hair.
Your eyes are a deep aquamarine but sometimes almost look green.
You have seven teeth.

You are a good eater but especially love yogurt, orange juice popsicles, feta cheese, wheat bread and avacado.
You love to get into drawers (especially my make-up drawer) and cabinets and you are in the habit of thowing things off your highchair tray to see where they land.
You take Luke's glasses off constantly and love to turn the TV on and off.

You know we're home when we pull into the driveway. You usually give out a little shreek of joy.

I have been so fortunate to be able to stay home with you and Luke and see your changes each and everyday. I wouldn't trade those moments for anything.

I was reminded all over again that real live miracles do happen. I have two miracles. I am so blessed Leila. I look forward to our adventures, sharing, shopping, learning, make-over parties, heart-to-heart talks and cherishing your dreams. For now I want to hold on to every dear and precious moment I have with you.

Happy Birthday
Love,
Mama

9 Comments:

Blogger jane said...

that is beautiful gina!! congratulations on your big girl!!

1:27 PM  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

I have tears in my eyes.
mommyhood and babyhood are samples - tidbits - of God Himself on earth.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Happy Birthday little Leila!

I felt a bit sad when I read this. I think because my little one will be one next month and it's so bittersweet when our kids grow up.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

What a wonderful One year old tribute! I hope that one is going into her baby book. :) happy birthday Leila girl!

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is so precious, gina. happy birthday little one.

God bless. :)

6:43 PM  
Blogger Radical One said...

precious, just precious! oh girl, just keep cherishing those moments, they pass ever so quickly.

may you continue to be blessed by little leila and luke!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Kevin Beck said...

It makes me want to cry. My oldest daughter turns 8 this week. It seems like she was born just yesterday.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

They grow so very fast!! She is one cute little girl!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

Wow. :) I hope Leila will be able to read what you wrote for her later. My mom kept a little diary of the things my brothers, sisters and I did and it's always nice to know how things used to be!

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home