Saturday, March 29, 2008

Home Learning

I've been thinking recently about how to fill our summer days. I function so much better when there are at least 2 -3 mornings a week when I can pack up the kiddos and have a little human contact. There are a couple of options to explore. I have a mom's club that is great at coordinating outings literally every week. A lifesaver!

Believe it or not, I've been looking into homeschooling for Leila and Liam. For Luke of course the school system is a must. As much as I hate to admit it (well, why do I hate to...it's obvious), I cannot handle Luke all day long. He's lovely but just...well, I couldn't do it. But the school district we live in is not an option (although we've struck gold with the special school for Luke). And we're not quite in a financial position to go private right now. So really, we don't have much of a choice as things currently stand.

I've always been interested in homeschooling in a way. Perhaps the fact that I loathed school might have something to do with it. The exhausting part doesn't interest me but I might be able to get used to it. This concept has intrigued me. There is a meeting tonight with a local homeschooling support group.

I'll keep you posted.

Oh and, do you twitter?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

the kids lok adorable and leila in her dress! Awww..I can't beleive you keep such a good schedule with such a little baby in the house! of course you do get up at the crack of dawn! :)

3:14 PM  
Blogger butterflygirl said...

School will be so important for Luke. Best of luck with homeschooling. And yes, I twitter for now at least.

5:52 PM  
Blogger T-Bone said...

Gina- when I hear the word "homeschool", it conjures many ideas in my mind. First and foremost though, I think of an article I read in Vanity Fair many years ago about the Wyeth Family and their childhood educations, spearheaded by their father, N.C. Of course, the Wyeths lived in a different time and place; the term "homeschool" wasn't in existence. The family Wyeth are a group of fascinating characters to begin with, but with N.C. guiding their education, the children were molded into what they were truly born to be-- artists. Perhaps the library would have this article in their archives. Read it and you'll be engrossed, particularly since you're considering the possibility of homeschooling.

10:31 PM  
Blogger chksngr said...

Don't Twitter...

We considered home schooling while in CA too...didn't want my little bugs in public school...too much to overcome...

HERE, MANY people homeschool...they have their own "nights" at bowling alleys, roller rinks, the symphony, the loal ice cream store...We get the "town calendar" and it will have "Homeschool night at Bruesters!" or something on it...Its a great idea...my freind in Arizona says she learns as much as her kids do from the cirriculum...

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home