Friday, May 23, 2008

A Biggie

Our CPA told us yesterday that I needed to start a home business in order to write off more taxes to offset our rental properties. So I was thinking and dreaming and wondering last night. A few ideas were starting to simmer...

Then today we were stunned with the jarring possibility (by way of gentle mention by Luke's principal) that we might need to start to consider some type of long term care for Luke possibly in the next 6-7 years. At five Luke is very strong and as he gets older he'll obviously get stronger but I never wanted to really think about what that meant in terms of care. Rob and I are determined to make that the absolute last resort. At age 7 the Regional Center will probably drop funding for Luke's therapy because statistically if children don't make strides by 7 then the therapy is considered "not-optimal" for that particular child.

The reality however is that we are blessed and indeed the likes of which so many of the world can only dream. I need to keep that foremost in my mind lest I do in fact lose it.

4 Comments:

Blogger GClef1970 said...

Wait... back up. By "long term care", do you mean institutionalization?? Or, are you referring to how to afford costs for therapy beyond the age of 7?
Would love to chat with you about this, Gina. The introduction of Risperdal and then Lexapro has made a world of difference for Conor. I never wanted to medicate him because I was afraid that I would be "drugging" him into submission. Instead, he tells me that the medications help him be happy, his rages have become almost non-existent and his obsessions no longer rule his life.

Keep having hope.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Thinkig of and praying for you with those possibilities out there...God will lead. I know how stressful it must be to even consider.
As for the home business..Your CPS is right...you can get So many tax breaks just from being a small biz owner...you don't even have to do that much if you don't really need the cash you can just set it up and do a little here and there to claim the exemptions..sell jewelry or set up a website to do stuff wtih real estate, of something informational or for fundraising purposes for autism...I'll bet you have all sorts of things you could get into if you give it some thought..hey, I can be your virtual assistant when you get it rolling..:)
You are blessed!..and loved.

1:28 PM  
Blogger butterflygirl said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you Gina.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you of course....I left a comment above yes, you must meet Melody!! As far as Home business...how about photography...Ebay stores are great write offs..and for a more crafty site Etsy.com is amazing. If you make a loss it is actually even a better write off...and you will for at least a couple of years! Can't wait to see what you come up with..oh, talented one!

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home