Friday, June 20, 2008

Thrifty and Delicious

As promised, a thrift shop post.
I've recently been reevaluating my consumer habits. Anyone can go into Nordy's and slap purchases onto a card (hello, me). But I've come to realize that it is so much more interesting and creative to shop at thrift stores.
Not to mention 101 other reasons which include:
1. Saving money for the fun things in life like traveling and good food or for the practical things like college funds, retirement or rental properties (which then have AC units nabbed but moving on);
2. Teaching the children not to be obsessed with things and wanting MORE and NEW and BETTER when gently used will do just fine, thank you;
3. Because the average American has an $8,000 balance on their 10 OR MORE credit cards;
4. Because it's an adventure!;
5. Because I feel happy rather than guilty!;
6. Because when my $6 shirt gets pooped on I'm a much more jolly mommy than if it had been a $58 one:
7. Because I bet that groovy pair of sunglasses with flowers on the side has a much more interesting story than the pair of D&Gs at South Coast Plaza;
8. Because you can't take it with you. (Matthew 6:19-21, "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: for where your treasure is, there will you heart be also.")

So, a few of my finds this week:
Ann Taylor Loft summer fun skirt $5.99

$4.99 ~

For Luke, $1.99 ~

Gloria Vanderbuilt Jeans which fit perfectly, $7 ~
Forever 21 tee, $.50 (yes, cents)~

Practically new Gap pants in my size, $2 ~

2.99 ~

$3.99~


$2.99


$1.99 ~

$4.99 ~

There's more but you get the drift.
I think I'm hooked.

11 Comments:

Blogger T-Bone said...

Gina:

You're right! Shopping thrift stores is an adventure. I'm hooked too. I find all kinds of cute t's, hoodies and camis, none of them over six bucks. However I feel myself having to take a deep breath before going into the thrift store because it requires a completely different mindset to dig for treasures, rather than waltzing into Nordie's and plopping down a card to buy the $30.00 cami. So much easier to shop the big stores, but so much more rewarding to do thrift.

Thursday I spied a fantastic old leather couch at my local thrift, brown/oxblood color, with the big, brass upholstery tacks on the arms. Fabulous. $290.00. I'm thinking it's time to buy a couch (don't have one anymore)!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

I love to shop at thrift stores and have a very hard time paying sticker price at the dept. store...However..I'm not very good a the digging part...my thrift store must be well organized and orderly...I'm into the convenience and visual appeal of the dept stores..so much more my "style". so if the thrift store can pull it all together and show me wher to find it and how it looks...I'm in. :)
PS...my mom an sisters are queens at bargain shopping of any kind.

8:38 AM  
Blogger chksngr said...

AWESOME!!!

We have soooooo many thrift stores here...I REALLY need to visit them more frequently...but I don't really shop...so....um...that would mean I have to shop, huh?

lol.

4:58 PM  
Blogger LingoVise Says... said...

thrifting is awesome. i've always been a thrift store junkie :)

Totally adorable skirt! oh my! my most recent find was a great pair of cargo pants for 2$... still had the original Gap price tag on them! (46$)

i'm going on monday to look for summer stuff for my little guy. i also love to look for fun stuff for crafting... always good deals to be had.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Rima said...

You found some good stuff! Some of my favorite outfits I bought for the kids I found at thrift or consignment stores.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

I love thrift shop bargains. I find you have to go frequently to get the good stuff and I find shopping with the toddler painful these days. I agree that it's a fantastic way to shop, though.

Thanks for stopping by my place!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

i am impressed! you have motivated me!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Bek said...

impressive!!!! i haven't done this in awhile, but i'd like to go again, now! lemme ask, did u take the kids with you? somehow it seems i'd not be able to do it with kids....just wondering....

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I love thrift stores but haven't had much luck lately..what thrift shop did you shop at...so cute!!
Hope you're having a fun summer!

10:20 AM  
Blogger tommie said...

those are adorable.

I love a good thrift shop. I had one in TX. I can count on one hand how many times I have paid retail for the kids' stuff.

7:49 PM  
Blogger butterflygirl said...

Looks like you did good. I usually don't have any luck with stuff in my size.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home